Sunday, June 16, 2013

Weirdest thing I realized yesterday tying into the course's theme of Food and Feasting.
I was visiting my boyfriend's mom, and as I sat in her kitchen I noticed her having alot of pictures and metal decor of fruit or baskets of fruit. I reminded me of the fruit we've been seeing in paintings and on the cover of The Edible Woman. It also reminded me how my mom has pictures of fruit in her kitchen. Her kitchen tiles even have them! So I concluded, these pictures are so common in kitchens as it ties into the theme of feasting. Like we talked about in class, kitchens are centers of preparations for feasts and where people/families are brought together by the notion of food and feasting. So, the fruit and the fruit baskets represent that notion and symbolize the unity and welcome people to come and share the fruit from the basket. What a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment